It is now well known that lack of physical exercise result in poor health and sickness. But it is still not known to most of people that there are specific exercises which can help in treatment of various diseases and in early recovery & rehabilitation. In addition to reducing the suffering & duration of sickness, clinical exercises reduce the progress of chronic sickness and prevent many disease causing abnormalities in the body.
What are Clinical Exercises?
Clinical Exercises are those set of exercises and movements which are carefully designed according to the disease state and are given under clinical supervision to prevent & treat sickness and to enhance function & wellness.
How Clinical Exercises helps?
These exercises help by inducing positive change in body. These exercises :
- Enable ambulation
- Reduce rigidity
- Mobilize joints
- Improve circulation
- Improve respiratory capacity
- Improve coordination
- Improve balance
- Promote relaxation
- Release contracted muscles, tendons, and fasciae
- Improve muscle and bone strength
- Improve energy levels
- Improve functional capacity
- Reduce stress and depression
How clinical exercises are given?
Before a patient begins training, a comprehensive medical history, a thorough physical examination, and an adequate laboratory screening is performed. Patients with cardiac disease, exercise-induced asthma, hemoglobinopathies, diabetes and obesity undergo an exercise stress test carried out under medical supervision with monitoring of pulse, blood pressure, and electrocardiogram (ECG) prior to exercise. Such patients are kept under close monitoring during exercise program. After assessment, the patient’s health status is evaluated and a suitable exercise program is designed.
In what conditions these exercises are helpful?
Clinical Exercises are proved to be useful in a number of disease conditions. Some are:
- Endocrine Conditions like obesity, diabetes, hypothyroid etc.
- Orthopedic Conditions like arthritis, backache, sciatica, cervical spondylosis, osteoporosis, frozen shoulder etc.
- Cardiac Conditions like poor cardiac function, chronic heart failure etc
- Respiratory Conditions like asthma, respiratory insufficiency, restrictive lung disease etc.
- Mental Health – alzheimer’s disease, stress, depression, dementia, sleep disorders etc.
- Neuromuscular Conditions like weakness, paralysis, parkinson’s disease etc.
- Gynecological Conditions like urinary incontinence. dysmenorrheal etc.
- Obstetric Conditions like Pregnancy and post delivery.
- Surgical Conditions like post operative recovery, post operative constipation etc.
Benefits of Clinical Exercises
- Helps in recovery.
- Improve quality of life.
- Reduces pain and suffering.
- Delays progress of chronic sickness.
- Improve health by decreasing risk factors.
- Improves energy levels and functional ability.
- Compliments medicinal treatment and decrease need of medicine.