What is Wellness
Wellness is the proactive, dynamic & progressive
living in a higher and positive state of body and mind. It
involves integration of body, mind and spirit. It is characterized
by preservation, growth and development of different aspects
Dimensions of Wellness
- Physical Wellness
- Keep body healthy and work actively towards
- Adopt health promoting lifestyle.
- Eat balanced and healthy
- Keep body weight in right zone.
- Incorporate regular
physical activity and exercise.
- Say no to harmful habits,
substance abuse and addictions.
- Take adequate rest and
- Avoid unhealthy sex.
- Prevent injuries by being alert
and avoiding risky behavior.
- Maintain adequate self
hygiene and self care.
- Undergo required medical checkup
and act as per advice.
- Prevent sickness by controlling
sickness causing factors.
- Enhance fitness by activities
like Yoga, Meditation, Massage, Sports etc
- Intellectual Wellness
- Stay alert and observant through five senses.
- Be aware and present minded.
- Be active and interact
positively with people, circumstances and environment.
curious, learn more and apply what you have learned.
intellectually stimulating environment.
- Learn goal setting,
planning, decision making and problem solving.
task management and organizational skills.
- Learn stress
- Look for and make best use of opportunities.
- Learn creativity
and apply it in day to day life.
- Look at difficult circumstances
as challenge and opportunity.
- Develop efficient thinking.
Balance firmness and flexibility.
- Emotional Wellness
- Understand own & others feelings & needs.
on emotional stability.
- Accept self limitations in right
spirit and work on them for self growth.
- Learn to express
own feelings & needs.
- Get over disappointments and
turn scars to stars.
- Avoid stress and learn stress
- Be realistic, do not distort facts about
self, others and circumstances.
- Learn about mind body
- Learn inter relation of thoughts, feelings
- Learn methods of healthy recreation and self
- Grow constructive habits and hobbies.
- Social Wellness
- Understand and appreciate social norms, values
- Learn to be at ease and relate well with
- Learn to think for common welfare and social
- Develop effective communication.
- Develop positive interdependent
relationships based on mutual trust, commitment, honesty
- Learn to create own space and respect others
- Cultural Wellness
- Learn about culture & richness
- Understand & appreciate how culture
can improve quality of life.
- Integrate culture into everyday
- Avoid cultural rigidity.
- Occupational Wellness
- Develop skills and talents and make best use
- Explore opportunities & understand
- Identify self aptitude and meaning
of occupation in life.
- Develop identification and commitment
- Understand and assume responsibility.
- Environmental Wellness
- Create comfortable and stimulating environment.
environment clean and safe.
- Respect and develop environment,
- Develop harmony of self with environment.
- Spiritual Wellness
- Understand meaning and purpose of life.
- Nourish constructive
personal beliefs & philosophy
- Grow towards self realization.
- Develop faith and justice.
Why Wellness should be the way of life
- It helps in keeping mind body machine in best possible
- It improves efficiency and helps in realizing best of our
- It helps in achieving our goal of meaning & purpose
- It gives one a quality living.
- It helps in avoiding mental and physical suffering.
- It paves way to success in life, joy and happiness.
- It improves one’s relationships and minimizes stress & discords.
- It saves time and money in a big way.
- It is good for self, family, community, country and entire
How to achieve Wellness
- Give wellness an undisputed topmost priority.
- Understand and assume full responsibility of your wellness.
- Continuously learn, be aware and be ready for required
- Plan comprehensively and take proactive action.
- Take positive and judicious choices.
- Adopt holistic & healthy lifestyle.
- Take authentic, professional help when required.
- No excuses, no lethargy and at the same time no fuss.
- Beware of shopping mania in healthcare.